ME

My photo
I am retired from government, law enforcement, politics and all other pointless endeavors. I eat when I am hungry and sleep when I am tired.

Monday, October 5, 2015

JEFFERSON DAVIS

I've been meaning to write about the way academics of this time write with an obsessive vehemence about the long dead Confederacy.  It's obvious that they are anxious to conflate all the evils of slavery with the modern right.  They intend to weave it all together with an indictment of America in general and the need to embrace the new multi-cultural leftist polity they represent.  

To them, slavery is just one element in the saga of America, a racist, grasping, hypocritical monstrosity.  The South to them is a useful icon of all that was/is evil in our History.  

In view of this I am printing here the text of Jefferson Davis's address to his fellow Senators on his departure from that body.  I invite you dear reader, to consider if these are the words of a monster, or a patriot and a gentleman.


Jefferson Davis's final address to the Senate
I find in myself, perhaps, a type of the general feeling of my constituents towards yours. I am sure I feel no hostility to you, Senators from the North. I am sure there is not one of you, whatever sharp discussion there may have been between us, to whom I cannot now say, in the presence of my God, I wish you well; and such, I am sure, is the feeling of the people whom I represent towards those whom you represent. I therefore feel that I but express their desire when I say I hope, and they hope, for peaceful relations with you, though we must part. They may be mutually beneficial to us in the future, as they have been in the past, if you so will it. The reverse may bring disaster on every portion of the country; and if you will have it thus, we will invoke the God of our fathers, who delivered them from the power of the lion, to protect us from the ravages of the bear; and thus, putting our trust in God, and in our firm hearts and strong arms, we will vindicate the right as best we may.
In the course of my service here, associated at different times with a variety of Senators, I see now around me some with whom I have served long; there have been points of collision; but whatever of offense there has been to me, I leave here; I carry with me no hostile remembrance. Whatever offense I have given which has not been redressed, or for which satisfaction has not been demanded, I have, Senators, in this hour of our parting, to offer you my apology for any pain which, in the heat of discussion, I have inflicted. I go hence unencumbered by the remembrance of any injury received, and having discharged the duty of making the only reparation in my power for any injury offered.
Mr. President, and Senators, having made the announcement which the occasion seemed to me to require, it only remains for me to bid you a final adieu.



2 comments:

  1. The people who are raising the most Cain about Davis are incapable of writing the above as they are intellectual pygmies compared to a great American president like Davis. While I expect the Cultural Marxists to take aim at Davis as a step in their long march to deconstruct what is left of the original American republic it is the so-called "conservatives" I have the most contempt for. That gang of GOP grovelers that Nikki Haley assembled around her when she announce she wanted the legislature to have another vote to take down the Army of Northern Virginia flag over the Confederate memorial is a case in point. These cowards and fools fail to realize that the endgame means not just the end of us but them as well.

    Post-modern America isn't worthy of people of Davis' caliber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that I didn't reply to this. You have it perfectly right sir, especially about the beauty of Davis's prose and the gentility of his spirit.

    ReplyDelete