ME

My photo
I am retired from government, law enforcement, politics and all other pointless endeavors. I eat when I am hungry and sleep when I am tired.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

AIDS

The World Health Organization finally got around to admitting that its dire prediction of a world pandemic of heterosexual AIDS just isn't true. The disease is spreading, but with the exception of sub-Saharan Africa, it remains a primarily a disease of drug addicts and male homosexuals. During the 80's I had some responsibility for Government planning and had to take a hard look at AIDS and it's possible impact. The virus had been identified and the method of transmission was known. The Internet was in its infancy and almost all sources of information I could identify were either refusing to speculate or were spreading hysteria. One of the few people writing about the disease from a basic epidemiological perspective was a fellow named Michael Fumento. He asked basic questions and weighed all the over wrought predictions then current against proven models. He was then vilified for suggesting that in the end, the WHO would make the announcement it just did.

He now covers the Iraq war on the ground. He should win a Pulitzer Prize but surely won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment